This post is mainly for my friends over at the Modern Mrs. Darcy book club. I made this questionnaire after reading an essay from a collection of essays. To fill you in, in case you came to this post from elsewhere, there was an essay about the author merging her book collection with her spouse’s collection.
The thought of merging libraries scares me. This constitutes another reason to stay single! What if they only have sci-fi and horror, which I don’t read? What if they are a book hoarder and will never be willing to clean their shelves?
I felt the only way to deal with this anxiety was to start to develop a new screening questionnaire for any potential dates.
Below is Liz’s completely unscientific yet personally important screening test, which you may refer to as LZUYPIST, as all the fancy tests have acronyms.
- What genres do you read?
- How long should you hold onto books for?
- How do you feel books should be shelved?
For me, the prefered answers would be:
- Eclectic, but is preferred to not have horror/scifi/romance as the only genres.
- It depends. Classics-forever, other things should be donated if they will not be re-read. The super correct answer would be, whenever they are due back at the library!
- The answer should be alphabetically by author or by color of the book. Bonus points if they say both!
I think I found someone who fits these…me! Luckily we get along quite well! 🙂
What questions would you add? Does merging shelves with someone be it a family member, spouse, significant other or roommate terrify or excite you?